This is the "Home" page of the "Berkeley Public Library History" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content
Library Locations and Hours Library Calendar of Events My Library Account Berkeley Public Library Home

Berkeley Public Library History   Tags: bpl  

Check out this guide for the history of the Berkeley Public Library
Last Updated: Oct 22, 2013 URL: http://berkeleypubliclibrary.libguides.com/content.php?pid=254132 Print Guide RSS Updates

Home Print Page
  Search: 
 
 

Library Construction

Construction of the first library at the corner of Shattuck Avenue & soon-to-be Kittredge Street.

 

In the Beginning - the Early History of BPL

In 1882, when Berkeley was a community of some 2000 souls, the first serious attempt was made to establish a reading room and circulating library in the town.  A hundred dollars was scraped together - although $400 was the stated goal - a few daily and weekly newspapers were subscribed to, and 54 books were donated.  On the 18th of March a room was rented in a building on the corner of Shattuck and University Avenues, and the Free Reading Room came into existence.  Unfortunately, this endeavor was doomed, for in September it was announced the Reading Room was closed due to lack of funds.

By the late 1880s - with the Berkeley community alarmed that the University of California students had few hangouts other than saloons - the effort was reinvigorated.  In December 1892 local druggist J. E. Kelsey, W. H. Waste, and other leading citizens - with a healthy contingent of vocal female community leaders - formed a committee to solve the problem.  One of several directors of the resulting committee, J. D. Layman, donated a series of books by Oliver Wendell Holmes and proposed the developing library's first official name, the Holmes Public Library.  According to our handwritten catalog, Holmes' "Autocrat of the Breakfast Table" was the first official book in the collection.  The Women's Christian Temperance Union also donated some 250 books around this time.  Use of the books, newspapers, and periodicals was to be free, but only those who paid a dollar in advance had borrowing privileges. By February 10, 1893, Miss Lucy Wheeler from San Diego was hired as Librarian, two rooms in the Shattuck Block were secured, and Berkeley's library was re-born.

By December 1893, Lucy Wheeler left for health reasons and Dr. R. Moore took her place.  The annual membership fee was reduced from $12 to $5 per year.  Branch reading rooms were soon planned for - in West Berkeley and in Lorin (South Berkeley).  But first the library needed public support.  By December 1895, Francis Kittredge Shattuck was President of the Library Board, and Dr. R. Moore Secretary (as well as Librarian, with a salary of $75 per month).  Soon came the promised branch reading rooms in West Berkeley and Lorin.  In early 1896 the Board of Trustees changed the name of this young - but already wildly popular - institution to Berkeley Public Library.

(Source: "Berkeley's First Public Library" by William Warren Ferrier)

Building the library

Description

Loading  Loading...

Tip